I admit it, something on TV sucked me in. It’s rare I see food advertised on TV and say “OMFG I NEED THIS IN MAH BELLY! NOM NOM NOM!” and this wasn’t one of those moments either. Instead, Taco Bell released a new commercial declaring war on McDonalds with “Breakfast Defectors“. The ad isn’t over the top food shots (in fact you never see the actual food until the end) but is a jab at another giant. No “OOHHH MY CHEESE IS SO GOOOOEEEYYY HAWT AND GOOD YUUMMMM!” but break away from the same old boring breakfast you grew up with. Curiosity got the best of me.
Fast food breakfast isn’t something I frequent but there have been mornings when I’m rushing to get the kids out of the house for school and I don’t have time for breakfast. Zip it those of you without kids, it happens. Deal with it.
McDonalds is the most convenient with my route but their breakfast is boring. I’ve hit up Chick-Fil-A and love the breakfast burrito but it’s a significant time suck to get there. Wendy’s, Subway and the others aren’t even on the map of my route but Taco Bell is. Honestly I forgot they had breakfast and figured the ad campaign with the old men complaining was an experiment they gave up on. Taco Bell rebooted the breakfast image and it is good.
I’m someone who doesn’t like the uneasiness of ordering from an unfamiliar menu and pressure of holding up the drive-thru so I ventured inside to ease into my purchase. “Ah there we go, the funny shaped breakfast thinger I’ve seen on TV.” I decided on the California AM Crunch Wrap but when I pulled into work I discover the Country AM Crunch Wrap in my bag. I check the receipt and sure enough, Country. UGH. Swore I said California.
Take a moment and click the images above.
Yeah buddy, that’s a little giddy-up right there. It’s everything I love about breakfast stacked on top of each other. Cheese-Eggs-Sausage-Hashbrown or as Taco Bell likes to describe it “A warm flour tortilla with a golden crispy potato hash brown, fluffy scrambled eggs, a delicious sausage patty, real cheddar cheese and warm country gravy, wrapped up and grilled to go.” but is it really?
- A warm flour tortilla – It wasn’t like “blanket fresh out of the dryer” warm but close.
- golden crispy potato hash brown – I don’t know what the crack is they put in their hash browns but it should be illegal. Today was my first time eating one and it’s a step above others.
- fluffy scrambled eggs – can’t have fluffy when it’s crammed in a package like this but it didn’t taste like the instant egg mix the lunch ladies served us in catholic school.
- delicious sausage patty – I wouldn’t go as far as to say delicious but it wasn’t bad.
- real cheddar cheese – it’s much better than fake cheddar cheese
- warm country gravy – WHAT! IT’S SUPPOSED TO HAVE GRAVY? I feel cheated. So so cheated.
- wrapped up and grilled to go – Easiest breakfast on the go available. Obviously I cut mine at my desk but you could eat this on the run with no problem.
For you health nuts, here are the nutritional facts. Knowing what was in it made the rest of my day easy to plan with MyFitnessPal so I could eat this guilt free. For the record, my lunch was raw vegetables and an apple. See, life balance 🙂
Was THIS one worth it? Maybe if it had the gravy but that California one, I have you in my sight big guy. Will I go back there for breakfast? It was a much better experience than I had in my head going there.