Growing up in Erie it was always easy to spot the tourists at Presque Isle, they were the only people swimming in the lake. I guess this could be said for any native in a tourist hot spot but going back now with a family I have a new appreciation for the beach.
Last Saturday I took the family on a quick weekend trip to Erie. If you’re in Pittsburgh the journey up I-79 really is fast. You can be there in 2.5 hours and the drive flies by as you watch the Steel City skyline turn into beautiful country driving, errr just with an interstate running through it.
When I lived in Erie the place to be was Beach 6. This was the home of sand volleyball tournaments, best concession stand on the peninsula and where the good looking people hang out. If you’re a teenager or single person, this is your reality TV show. Married dude in his 30’s with 2 kids, ummm yeeeaaaahhh we scooted down to Beach 7/Water Works a.k.a. the “family beach”.
If you’re a family traveling up there, here is why you’ll love this spot.
- Affordable large cabins for rent if you’re having a gathering. We’re talking 50-100 people.
- Picnic tables if you want to pack your lunch and hang out plus grills are available.
- Excellent fishing spots for the kids.
- Playground if they’re done with the swimming/sand thing.
- Bike Rental station and hub of anything “touristy” you want to do.
- The beach area is rarely crowded, spacious area to set up a tent or umbrella and then lay out in the sun
- Plenty of lifeguards on hand for additional peace of mind.
- Incredible sunset with Canada off in the distance
This trip was unique for us as the water in the bay was higher than normal and the winds whipping around causing waves close to 4 feet high. The parent in me was “OMFG MY KIDS WILL BE CARRIED OUT TO SEA!” but once I got in the water with them I turned into “WOOOOOOOOO THIS IS FREAKING AWESOME! GET ME A BOOGIE BOARD!”. Both of my kids laughed harder than they ever have as they would either ride the waves or get sucked down shore as the waves crashed. 4 hours later we head to my mom’s for dinner and to hang out.
Sunday would turn out to be a slightly awkward day and you can read about that next…