(photos from the google. photoshopped by me)
It can’t go unnoticed that Penguins mania is all over Pittsburgh. As a lifelong Pens fan it’s refreshing to see people wearing something other than a Steelers jersey. If you’re not from the Pittsburgh area, a Steelers jersey is considered by many as acceptable form of clothing for ANY occasion even if it’s at a different sport’s event. After a recent walk through downtown I saw the trend start to shift as people in Pens jerseys were everywhere. Granted it is the Stanley Cup playoffs season but in the past that didn’t matter to yinzers.
Seeing this lead me to think, how is Yinzer Nation dealing with Steeler pre-pre-pre training camp news not leading broadcasts? Maybe some have seen the light that there is life outside the walls of Heinz Field. For those fans confused as to what Penguins hockey is about I’ve made this list to get you ready for the Flyers series and eventually the Stanley Cup Finals.
- Kenny the COTTON CANDY HERE guy and TC the Beer Guy have jobs outside Steeler games. Do not get confused when you see them.
- Pens Station is the main store for Pens swag. There is never enough room to walk around so do NOT go in after you bought that tray of nachos with double cheese.
- Those hotties in Pens clothes are The Pens Patrol They’re the crowd motivators… we think. Honestly besides throwing t-shirts and smiling we don’t really don’t see them.
- While you may enjoy ripping your shirt off and pouring beer over yourself while in a cheering frenzy at Steelers games, please stay dressed here.
- Face fainting, body painting and wearing loud obnoxious clothes are perfectly acceptable. Just ask the Penguin Lady.
- Don’t try to open the roof.
- Average price for a beer at the arena is $8.25. A 30 back of Beast Ice at the local distributor is $14.50. Do the math for the same quality of beer. (*hopefully at the new arena they have craft beers. Pens, call me. we’ll talk*)
- Eat like a champion – If you want loaded nachos and fries there is a stand behind the walking ramp on the South End. Want a burrito the size of your head? C level of the B32 steps i think… don’t quote me.
- Stay in your seat or in the entrance to your section until there is a stoppage in play. If you walk while game is in play you will be hauled up to F Balcony by fans and tossed off. Frankly this should be a rule in all sports. ESPECIALLY Pirates games.
- We have a mascot who is a Penguin, We love Iceburgh and will defend him to the end. Plus he’s no where near as freaky as that Steely guy.
- Cleveland to you is Philadelphia to us.
- If you don’t know what is going on that is perfectly fine but don’t compensate by yelling “SHOOT THE PUCK!”, “HIT HIM!” or “DO SOMETHING”.
- There are 4 lines in hockey just as you swap players on the field. Sidney Crosby won’t play a full 60 minutes. Don’t worry, you won’t even notice.
- The Stanley Cup is the most celebrated trophy in sports. Each member of the winning team gets to spend a day with it and the stories are legendary. It’s also the most accessible trophy to the public and like hockey fans, knows how to party.
- Gary Roberts strikes fear in death. nuff said.
There you go. Anyone else feel free to add to this list. Most importantly enjoy the game.